Hope you have enjoyed all the recipes that I have posted over the last few days! I’ve got lots more to come, and I’ve even got a restaurant review that I will be posting next week! But let’s get to the reason I’m posting today! I was feeling like a break from the heavy dinners I usually cook at this time of year and decided to go with something nice and light! So I thought, why not make a salad? Usually I don’t think like this, my brain instantly blocks salad from my conscious thoughts, but today I broke through that barrier! This recipe was inspired by a Jamie Oliver recipe from many years ago on his trip to Italy. He called it a Street salad (Insalata di strada), with the inspiration from a street market in Sicily.
Sicilian street salad
- 1/2 pound new potatoes
- 1/2 pound purple new potatoes
- 4 handfuls mixed salad leaves (green lettuce, arugula, romaine)
- 1/2 fennel bulb, sliced paper-thin with mandoline, reserve tops for garnish
- 1/2 fennel bulb, slice thin but not paper-thin, reserve for cooking
- 1/4 Meyer lemon, sliced paper-thin on the mandoline
- Salt and pepper
Tangerine dressing ingredients:
- Juice of 1 tangerine
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 1/2 tbsp capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- salt and pepper
- Wash the potatoes and add to a lightly salted pot of boiling water, boil until they are soft but still hold their shape. While the potatoes are boiling, heat a small pan on medium with a splash of olive oil, add the reserved half of the sliced fennel and fry until slightly golden.
- While the potatoes and fennel are cooking, wash the greens and fennel, toss in a large bowl.
- For the dressing, Mix the tangerine juice, wine and balsamic vinegar, and about twice as much oil (equal parts olive and grapeseed oil). Add the mustard, capers, and oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix everything together.
- When the fennel is browned, remove from heat and set aside. Once the potatoes are tender, drain and let them steam in the colander for a few minutes. Slice them in half and throw them into the salad along with the grilled fennel. Dress and serve immediately.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did, it was a nice change from the regular green salad with bottled dressing!
Don’t forget to like this page and share it with all your friends!